Monday, February 28, 2011

Wisdom Teeth

For posterity I decided to write a quick post about my wisdom teeth so feel free to skip it...no pictures anyway! I went in last Tuesday to get my teeth pulled. I've been needed them out now for about 10 years so I decided it was time (and we have decent insurance at the moment). I was super nervous and my appointment wasn't until 4pm so I had to fast all day. Once I got to the office, the last thing I remember was Tim kissing me on the head and leaving and the dentist saying "let's get this party started!" I felt a little woozy and that was it. I have one memory of being in my car looking out the drivers side window at a menu and that is it. Tim said he was buying me a smoothie and I kept telling him I wanted peanut butter, which they didn't have. He also said I had some interesting comments at the dentist office before I left, none of which I remember. And he said I kept trying to spit out the gauze in my mouth and the nurses kept laughing at me. I only remember waking up on my couch many hours later with ice on both sides of my face. Luckily I didn't have any swelling so I looked normal! yeah! No chipmunk cheeks! So I was starving for the first 3 days, since I couldn't eat anything, nothing hot, nothing solid, can't drink anything through a straw. So annoying. I though everything was getting better, until last night. My right side was in a lot of pain and I ended up taking my pain meds instead of my Ibuprofen which I've normally been taking. Then I woke up a few times in the night, and took another half of a pill. I called my dentist this morning and they got me in to see what was going on. He said I have partial dry socket on the one side. Wonderful. So he pulled out a stitch that hadn't dissolved all the way and packed the site with some NASTY tasting medicine that is supposed to protect it and help it to heal faster. Ugg, It tastes so gross, let's just hope I don't throw up. He said I should be feeling better in a few days, so I'm crossing my fingers! What a fun experience!

2 comments:

JulieN said...

Ugh...Nasty. I hope you feel better soon.

Emily said...

I had my wisdom teeth taken out last year, and it was the worse pain that I have EVER had!
I hope you feel better soon!