Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Halloween Decor on a budget

I love decorating for the Holidays, but hate spending the money. This year I decided to try and come up with some fun ideas using my favorite places....my local thrift store and the dollar store. I bought these skeleton heads at the dollar store (I bought 2 bags of them) and antiqued them a bit so they looked older. The ones on the right side are before, left...after. I had plans to put these guys in my Apothecary.
I found this lovely art work at my local thrift store for $1
My mother in law had given me this mirror a while back....I think I found the perfect use for it!
I took out the mirror and mod podged some spooky green paper onto it
Then I flipped it over and put it back in the frame, and traced it so I knew how much of the actual mirror would be showing. Then using my Cricut I cut out some cute Halloween phrases to make it into a cute subway art photo.
Turned it back over, and mod podged them all onto the front. I did a few extra layers of the mod podge to add some texture since there is no glass covering the art
I also had a straw wreath laying around and decided to try and come up with a Halloween wreath....
But I have a feeling I will be taking it apart next year...not my favorite. I added a spider to the right side of it in the end, but I still don't love it yet.
I also found these beauties at the DI...$1.50 each. I bought the 3 that they had. I could see their spooky potential
Here is the finished Subway art...I {love} this piece. It is pretty much my favorite
Here is the lovely frame I found for a $1.00 with a new make-over. I love it too.
Remember these guys? I found 2 of them at the DI, and a while later, found another. Well I painted it and just couldn't find a place to hang it up, so I stashed it away. Well, it's finally found it's purpose. I cut some black vinyl and placed it on the mirror. I {love} this too.
Here is the finished product. I love the spooky sconces and I found the candles at Wal-Mart (they had the best color selection) for 88 cents each. Then I cut out some more spooky things and added them onto the candles. Love those too. I got the spooky grey cloth at the dollar store, it's HUGE and I had plenty to cover where I needed it to go.
I found the apothecary labels online and printed them out and used rubber cement to ad hear them to the jars. All the jars I've just been collecting, so I have plenty. I have yet to fill some of them though.
That sign I also found at the dollar store, I just added some brown ink to make it more interesting
Those hanging spiders we made one year for Trunk-or-Treat at the church, and a few other things I just have made throughout the years. I painted some cute pumpkins to put up there as well, they turned out cute.


Happy Halloween!

9 comments:

Bean said...

Wow! You go girl! You are so crafty. I wish you were here so we can go and do this stuff together. I love it!

Emily said...

I absolutely love it! I think you are ready for an awesome Halloween party.

Aubrey and Jardan said...

SOOO awesome! You're amazing, Anja!

Crissy said...

This looks incredible. I sure wish we could live closer so that we could do these things together. Don't you think it would be more fun? :o) You amaze me.

katie said...

You amaze me with all your projects! I bet your kids love seeing all the decorations!

Melissa said...

That turned out so great! You should stop over and link up to my party. Tuesday Tell All. I am sure that all of my friends would love to see this!

Erin said...

What cute and thrify ideas!! Great job!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

How fantastic is all of this? It looks great! Love your subway art!

Aaron & Carrie Warnick said...

These are Awesome! I totally want to make some of those.I wanna go to the DI soon and see what I can find. :) This is so cute! You did a great job!