Friday, September 17, 2010

first time for everything

This was my summer project. I've been wanting to try my hand at refinishing a small piece of furniture. I have a small TV upstairs in the loft area for the kids and it's sitting pretty much just on the floor. So I thought I'd keep my eye out at the DI for a dresser or end table of some kind with drawers so I could also use it to keep kids movies in. Well I found this beauty for $8. I wanted it to have more detail since I wanted to try and glaze it, but this one was in great condition and figured it would have to do. Here it is before any sanding and painting.
After 2 coats of paint...I {love} the color
I hand sanded it after it was painted to distress it a bit, this proves to be much harder than I thought it would be. It turned out really cool though and was tempted NOT to put my black glaze on it, but I really wanted to try it out. So I did it.
And I'm glad I did. I left quite a good amount of the glaze on because the piece didn't have much detail, so I thought it would make it more interesting. I do have to say the glaze was the easiest part. It dried fast too!

My lighting was not great inside when I took the complete picture, so the color is more accurate in the outside pictures. But I'm really happy with it, Chase told me "it's pretty mom, I like it!"

7 comments:

Emily said...

That looks awesome, Anja!

Bean said...

I love it!

The Cherry Family said...

LOVE the color too!! What a great deal!

families are forever said...

great job!

Aaron & Carrie Warnick said...

This is so cute! I love it! Way cute! You are always so creative! :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It turned out great! I love the color you used!

xox
Jen

Mary said...

Awesome!