Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Stinker with a capitol S

I guess before I get to into this post, I should explain a little bit of my parenting style to y'all. I pride myself on getting my kids on a schedule. They know what to expect and so do I and when it comes time for naps, it's MY time. I don't care what I do, all I know is that I have at least sometime where I have no kids yelling my name or trying to get my attention every second of the day.
So you must know that this little girl makes it very hard for me to "give up" when it comes to her nap, because I just don't think it's fair that I should give up "my time" when she won't sleep...wait let me re-phrase that. I'm having a hard time because I can not get her to take a nap and it's making me mad and it's not fair!
I have tried it all. I re-read all my parenting books and tried what they suggested I should do. I didn't work. I tried changing her nap time, her waking up in the morning time, her bed time, the amount of activity she had before her nap time, all of it! This little thing just doesn't need sleep like her much older (and wiser brother) who STILL takes a 2 1/2 - 3 hr nap A DAY! Why does she just not need sleep? It's beyond me and it drives me crazy!
So I've settled on changing her bedtime to earlier and letting her sleep in as much as she wants in the morning and I guess I just have to deal with a grumpy child in the evening (which really means she NEEDS a nap, she just won't do it)
But I guess her cute little face makes up for some of it...just a little :)

7 comments:

Emily said...

So sad. Nap time is precious to me. I don't know what I would do without a few minutes to myself. Good luck.

jdbanry family said...

Both my boys gave up napping around 18-24 months. I feel I have never know the joys of naps, so I try and cherish my quiet evenings and mornings!

Tristen said...

Corban stopped napping for a while when I couldn't get him to stay in his bed so my mom bought me a Kidco Peapod tent for him to use just at naptime and it worked like a charm. I just put it on top of his big-boy-bed and zip it up and he loves it now, snuggles right in for his nap. Sometimes now I don't even zip it, plus he knows how to get out of it by himself but it really helps him to sleep once he got used to it. Good luck, and DO NOT give up, it's better for her and it's better for you!

families are forever said...

Anja, She sure has a cute face!!! Very adorable! All of my six kids were different about naps. They all come so different, yet special. One thing that my sister did was tell her daughter ,she did not have to go to sleep, but that this was resting time, she gave her books and qeeit activities to do while the others sleep, but she had to stay in bed. she fell asleep sometimes and often not, but mom and her had some time for resting or whatever. good luck!

PS and she was not cranky at night.

Mary said...

Not that you want my advice but two of my four kids went through this phase. I hung tough and eventually both started nappping again and still all my kids nap on Saturdays and Sundays 8,6,4, and 2. And the younger two nap every day also.

whitney allison said...

I don't know what to tell you?!?! Nap time is sacred! I'm sorry...have you tried just making her cry it out at nap time?

Coleen said...

Hi Anja! Oh so much fun--she sounds just like a little girl I mothered--Jessica! I would think it unfair if you were able to have kids that did everything the way you wanted. HaHa! For me, the best part of Jessica not napping (and yes, she was probably the same age as Kardin)was that she went to bed by 7:00 and slept until 7:00 or 8:00. Anyway--good luck, we miss you.